Saturday, March 13, 2010

Wierd or Wonderful: Fashion Week Moments


Dsquared Fall 2010


I saw these two on another blog and I felt I simply had to have them on mine too. Firstly the Fall 2010 show from Dsquared features a harpy, Rihanna circa her dating Chris Brown and Tweedle Dee And Tweedle Dum. Firstly I want to talk about the Harpy, I love the leather pants, Givenchy have done similar ones too this season, the rest of the outfit is Balmain meets Rocky Horror Picture Show meets Alfred Hitchcock's The Birds, and I’m not sure that’s a healthy combination. The Tweedle Boys in their pvc looking bright pink shirts are kind of disgusting, I get a real gay grease lightening vibe from them. Finally the Rihanna look, I like the jeans and shoes, I’m just not crazy about the rape victim makeup, it leaves me wondering if we should be advertising violence in fashion when it is already everywhere else!



Vivienne Westwood Man Fall 2010


I hadn’t seen the movie Zoolander until earlier this year when I got tired of people saying I was like Derek Zoolander and not knowing what the hell they were trying to get at, and I must say the funniest part of the movie was the fashion designer and his collection "Derelicte" which was inspired by homeless people on the streets of New York. Vivienne Westwood has unknowingly recreated this collection with her Fall show where she was inspired by homeless people too. Westwood has never been one to follow trends or march to the beat of anyone else’s drums, but this time I think she has gone too far, there’s a few workable pieces but on the hole I feel the only value this collection has is comic value.

1 comment: